Celtic goalkeeper Craig Gordon celebrates a season to remember


The papers were on the table, the sums involved eye-watering. For Craig Gordon, the quid pro quo for retirement was a sizeable seven-figure insurance pay-out.
A £9million signing for Sunderland, the cash involved was considerable. A two-year claim limit was pending and he studied the small print time and again. He could have lifted the pen and scribbled his name on the dotted line at any point.
It was the fear which stopped him. The worry that, years later, he would wake up in the middle of the night with a headful of regrets unless he gave his dicky knee one last crack at the big time.

'There were quite a few people within the game who told me it was perhaps time to give up,' says Gordon now.
'I had the possibility of getting an insurance pay-out had the worst come to the worst and I kept putting that off, trying to get back.
'It was getting very close to the time limit expiring on that and I had to make a decision on whether to continue trying to play or take the money and run. There wasn't long left on the policy as it had been a two-year thing so it was very close.

'The paperwork was all looked out, I had spoken to lawyers, and it was very far down the road to happening. So I turned my back on a very large sum of money to give it another go.
'Things could have gone wrong after that. But I wanted to give myself that opportunity. In my old age if I had taken the money and not given myself that final chance I don't think that would have sat well with me.
'To get the pay-out I would have had to officially retire and not play any form of professional football. It would have gone to a settlement and it was pretty close to getting the go ahead
'My wife has been very supportive. She was the one who would tell me to keep going and keep trying.'
Dinamo Zagreb's Eduardo sees his close range shot saved by Gordon on Europa League night at Celtic Park

He's glad he did now. Twelve months since joining Celtic and enjoying an extraordinary renaissance in his career, Gordon has joined the small, elite band of players who have twice won the Scottish Football Writers' Association Player of the Year award.
Indifference is a common reaction to these things. Footballers wary of the Press regard the PFA Scotland award as the real prize because the recognition comes from their peers. Gordon is the exception.
Few now remember the details of his injury nightmare. The rare patella tendon problem which forced him to undergo three operations and countless injections where the blood was taken from his arm and injected into his knee.
Gordon salutes the fans after an inspired performance in the Celtic goal at the Red Bull Arena 
This, more than anything, explains his genuine delight at being crowned a player of the year once more. Eighteen months ago he would just have settled for playing again. That he has done so at a consistently high level both domestically and in Europe for Celtic is, he believes, one of his biggest achievements.
'Getting this award is unbelievable really,' he said. 'Coming back into football not knowing if I would even play one or two games, and then ending up playing 50 games, winning two trophies and now to top it off with the player of the year award – it's beyond anything I could have ever have imagined coming back. It's incredible.'
John Greig, Brian Laudrup, Henrik Larsson and Barry Ferguson all won the writers' award twice with the same club. On Sunday night Gordon will become the second player after the late Sandy Jardine to win it with two different clubs.
Celtic goalkeeper Gordon makes a finger tip save to deny Salzburg at the Red Bull Arena

'That's an amazing list of players who were fantastic for years. To join them is just unbelievable. I didn't think it was possible to come back, especially as a goalkeeper, and win the award twice. It's one of, if not *the* biggest, achievement of my career.'
There have been special moments along the way. Snippets he would once have taken for granted have assumed a new importance.
Hearing the Champions League theme music at Parkhead. His first start in over two years for Scotland in an otherwise nondescript international friendly against Northern Ireland in March.
That night had resonance, also, for Darren Fletcher – fully recovered from the debilitating effects of ulcerative colitis.
Celtic goaleeper Gordon (right) gets up well to thwart Aberdeen striker Adam Rooney at Pittodrie
'We were walking out together for the last game at Hampden, with him leading the team out and me behind him,' said Gordon, clearly savouring the memory. 'I tapped him on the shoulder and said: 'We've not done this for a while.'
'It was like going back to the old days. So that was a nice moment to share with him. We haven't spoken about our individual circumstances at great length but there's a shared understanding there.
'We've both been down a similar path and missed about 300 games and a lot of international caps between us. But these things happen to footballers everywhere.
'It's about how you react to that and whether you have the strength to come back.'
Fletcher is now the captain of West Bromwich Albion. And, as a goalkeeping merry-go-round begins in England, it's far from impossible Gordon will catch the eye of Premiership clubs once more. 
Gordon prepares to come on for Scotland during their clash against rivals England
Gordon prepares to come on for Scotland during their clash against rivals England
In his Sunderland days he won an award for the best save in the first 20 seasons of England's top tier. His form was never the problem, it was the knee which forced him out.
'I hope I can play for as long as I can,' he admitted. 'I've seen what it looks like not playing. Although it was nice spending time at home with my two young girls, you want to play football for as long as you can.
'I'd like to try keep playing until I'm 40. I could have a while yet. I don't see me moving on from Celtic, certainly not at the moment.
'I'm very happy here and the manager has been great with me. We've got a really good relationship and I work very well with Stevie Woods as well. I'm looking forward to next season and giving the Champions League a go.'
Celtic goalkeeper Gordon celebrates after making a good save late on against St Johnstone
Celtic goalkeeper Gordon celebrates after making a good save late on against St Johnstone
By his own admission, he had doubts about trying his luck at Celtic.
'Yeah, loads. Fraser (Forster) was still here, I didn't have a great deal of options regarding what I was going to do, I didn't know if it was the right decision to come in at this level and fight for a first-team spot, or should I have dropped down a level or two, get first-team games and try to work my way back that way.
'There were a lot of doubts about whether I had done the right thing coming here. Anything could have happened from that point. I could be sitting here at the end of the season having not played a game and not achieved anything.
'And then I would have been kicking myself for not going and getting games under my belt. I was ambitious enough, though, and wanted to go in as high as I could.
'To go away, play one game in three years, then come back from that and do it all over again makes this more special for me.'

Credit: Daily Mail
Share on Google Plus

0 comments :

Post a Comment